Sunday, July 15, 2012

Soul Sisters...



A couple of months ago I was on a horrible date with someone my boss set me up with.  The only thing I really care to remember from the conversation was a book recommendation.

"Love, Inshallah" is a book written by Muslim American women writing about their experiences.  Love, God-Willing.  Although I am not Muslim, I really identified with many of the writers and even surprised that I knew one of them back in college.  It is so rare to find a book that resonates with me, especially with many of the writers being of South Asian descent.  What makes the promotion of the book interesting is that the editors created a blog were contributers to the book write posts along with other writers. 


Their recent post came from another blog, but I think this touched me even deeper than many of the other posts I've read on the site: On My Own by Hafsa Arain

Published on "This Recording" , the piece is about how a young woman is coming to terms how she will likely be single due to lack of experiences in relationships.  For me I've been feeling a similar thought.  While I have relationship experiences, none of them have been positive.  It hurts for me to realize that I may never have that.  I went to a bachelorette party last night where I was not only the oldest, but the poorest and the only single one.  It is as if the signs of the universe are making it apparent that I may be the single one forever.  While I think that maybe it is better to be single than in an abusive relationship, I still crave that connection, that hope that I will find my best friend, that my parents would have a wedding, but it just seems more and more bleek. 

Of course the saying goes that if you believe in the negative, it will come true.  I really don't want to believe in the negative but wish the universe would for once cut me a break.  Just once so I can feel normal and happy. 

So, how about it, universe?



No comments:

Post a Comment